What you do before, during, and after an arrest can determine how your case will eventually be resolved. Your words, actions, and behavior can affect your future and your freedom. At The Law Offices Santiago Lavandera, P.A., we have spent decades defending people charged with all types of crimes.
The attorneys of The Law Offices Santiago Lavandera, P.A. stands ready to support you. We also fight to defend your rights when you have been charged with a criminal offense. We work to ensure that you receive the best possible legal representation, whether you reside in Florida or are simply visiting as a tourist.
Latest Law Research and Information
What Happens When You Are Arrested
What you do before, during, and after an arrest can determine how your case will eventually be resolved. Your words, actions, and behavior can affect your future and your freedom.
At The Law Offices Santiago Lavandera, P.A., we have spent decades defending people charged with all types of crimes. We know, through years of experience, that when an arrest occurs, it is not always legal, or Constitutional. We also know that the police try to use every piece of evidence they obtain against you in court. Our firm fights, and stands up for our clients facing criminal charges in South Florida. If you or a loved one has been arrested, we will fight for you and take all the legal steps that we can to avoid jail or prison time and protect your rights and your freedom. Contact us online or call 786-307-3792 to speak to a criminal defense lawyer about your charges.
If arrested for a state case, once you are transported to one of the jails, the Booking Officer will determine the "standard bond" for the charges alleged in the arrest affidavit. Once the "standard bond" is posted, you will be processed and released. There are certain very serious/violent crimes for which there is "no bond" or a very "high bond." If you are unable to post a bond, you will normally be brought before a judge, within 24 hours, for a "First Appearance Hearing" where a judge will determine the proper bond amount for your case.
If arrested for a Federal case, the procedure is different. You will be brought before a Magistrate Judge who will review your case for a determination of the bond status in your case. In most cases, you cannot be released without first seeing the Magistrate Judge.
Our attorneys are prepared to assist you or your loved one during this entire process, whether it is Federal or State court. Call 786-307-3792 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for immediate assistance when you or a family member is being detained or arrested by police.
Do's and Don'ts if You Have Been Arrested
- Do contact family members to facilitate bail.
- Do contact an attorney or have a family member contact an attorney, especially if you are unable to post the bond.
- Do gather contact information of any witnesses of the alleged crime.
- Do make an appointment to see us as soon as possible at 786-307-3792
- Do not discuss your case with anyone other than your attorney, this means that you should not talk to co-defendants (if any), other inmates at the jail, member of the corrections/jail staff, or even family members. Remember that telephone calls from the jail are often recorded.
- Do not answer questions asked by the police until you have received the counsel and advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney.
- Do not make statements to the police without first speaking to an attorney. Generally we recommend that you should NOT MAKE ANY STATEMENTS TO POLICE and should exercise your Fifth Amendment right to remain silent.
- Do not resist the arrest. Stay calm and act courteously towards the police.
The Law Offices Santiago Lavandera, P.A. is located in Doral, Florida. We represent clients throughout South Florida. To speak to a criminal defense attorney in our law office, call 786-307-3792 or contact us online.